Interview to the OR'zine magazine (Russia) December, 2015
— Your crude and cold music obviously has roots in the Scandinavian blek of the beginning of the 90th. Aarsland, tell from what you derive inspiration?
(Aarsland) Yes it is valid, the Norwegian BM school strongly affected us. But now I as author,
I found the sound, an own design of riffs, on it a lot of time left,
on understanding of as composer. Influence 90kh now at us if remained that only in the sounding. If to speak about inspiration, the live inspiration gives our house - Siberia.
We after all not only colleagues on music, also you leave on the nature. We spend the night in the wood
we take to listen with ourselves to casset as the and other groups, try to listen black at a fire
will perhaps open in it something new!
— As far as I know, DEVILGROTH prefers to be published on cassette? (tell about your releases a little)
(Aarsland) The following album will be at the beginning of 2016 it will already be and on professional CDs, and tape.
Lately the cartridge rose from the past a little, but recession will be, as vinyl will have no regeneration.
We write on cartridges so far it is possible, a last breath of this carrier so to speak. It is a past artifact
and difficulties with search of the equipment for its listening, create a certain keen process. An album on "the forgotten format"
it is very interesting to listen in comparison, with the downloaded file.
— And what albums you already let out?
Deprivasjon of frihet (2012)
And there are a lot of different demos, these are generally rehearsal
records of too bad quality. Not long ago I lifted archive, I found about ten
atmospheric demos of songs which when that left in a long box, now for us it already history.
We plan them to republish.
— I see that you sing in several languages — both English, and Russian, and German... And what sense you invest in the lyrics?
(Aarsland) The Russian-speaking lyrics was generally at an early stage. Some groups place emphasis on lyrics,
and someone on music, we after all from those who into the forefront puts music, the text only accompaniment.
I try to cry out a sense maximum via the tool. The emotional message is,
it is seen by our listeners about what I heard more than once. Each album very different in respect of lyrics, for example
Deprivasjon of frihet (2012) (Imprisonment)
It is a depressive album, his lyric about human life in the take away - moral, spiritual, material.
And here an album Krematorium - entirely about war, big war which can happen if people won't change.
By the way this album so left that is more actual now than at the beginning of the 13th year. Generally I will repeat the main thing, for me
power, giving. I want even to provide such words of Egor Letov:
"The main thing not music, and that that stands behind it. And that that behind it is a metaphysics, that behind physics, behind the physical world. It is the world of ideas which all moves". (c)
— You don't play nearly two years concerts. How you have affairs besides a scene and whether there are plans for concert activity soon? (write the reasons why you don't act now)
(Aarsland) We have in Novosibirsk a concert activity, in any case in a metal field almost on zero, think a situation much the acquaintance. In the neighboring cities there are festivals, but their organization isn't always pleasant to us. In general we love solo performances five years ago, it even not badly worked well including on fillability. There was even only time purely acoustic concert. But then attendance began to decline, there are even examples of minus fillability of better known groups. And somehow we cooled down to game on a scene, but completely plunged into record. We recorded a lot, doing experiments with tape, digital recording. Any record which even isn't published all the same remains as heritage. And at the moment even it is difficult for me to present really serious Black concert, perception at public not that. I catch myself on thought that is seen not for nothingsome known bands have purely studio status. Actually many black albums not concert music, there really other level of perception.
— Well and couple of words finally to the reader!
(Aarsland) Dear friends,I urge you to come off the monitor sometimes.
If you want to estimate really any album, it is necessary to experience its concept from a cover art, to the music, to take
it in hands, especially if vinyl, so it in general interesting process. Thus you will open something new and strong for yourself
even in old groups.
Interview Occult Black Metal Zine 21/01/2016
1.(Occult) Can you give us an update on what is going on with
theband these days?
1. (Aarsland) Updates little. We finished work on an album and so far anything else doesn't occur.
2.You have a new album coming out in February, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
2. Album (Morena). Different from all the old albums, with its unique sound. It is a blend of classic black metal with orchestral power. While the album is not used on a typical keyboard or symphonic elements. Orchestral power and atmosphere I have achieved an exceptionally wide guitar sound with a large Number of guitar amps. The album ends with a striking composition influence of traditional Russian music.
3.Since 2010 there has been 10 or more releases, do you put in a great amount of time and effort into writing and creating music?
3. Yes, the early we did a lot of records, even now I regret it. The fact is that we hardly give concerts and we had a lot of free time and we recorded a lot of jamming, as it were improvised. We did not have targets to sell the music or make it popular, so we did not care about its quality. During the long winter nights, we just played music to express their emotions. Therefore, those demo albums sound very bad. But in parallel, I worked on the idea of creating a unique sound within the black metal, for 5 years, I have developed this sound and can now be heard on (Morena). We can say that the band found its sound just now.
4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
4. We have a minimalistic lyrics. We invest forces and energy in music more. In Russia there are great poets. But lyrics not our strength. At first we write music, and then we do the text in the concept of mood of music.
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name'Devilgroth'?
5. Creation of the name of group was influenced by one my dream. But it is long history. In general we gave group the Name only nearly 2 years later from the moment of its basis. I wanted a primitive typical black metal name. Devilgroth is a connection of words, English (Devil) and the Russian word ("grotto" - a cave) In other words the name of group can be deciphered as the Devil cave.
6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the documentary that you have just released?
6. In the film really there isn't a lot of information. Briefly, the Purpose of this movie through audiovisual a component to inform the atmosphere of a place in which we live and we create. You look at Siberia and more deeply you start understanding the atmosphere of our music.
7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage perfromance?
7. I a little that can tell about it…
8.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
8. For all existence of group there was only one small tour in Russia. Perhaps in the future we plan some concerts in neighboring countries. Also there are some split, for example Split with Depressive BM group (Desolated Souls) soon, especially wait for Split with our friends from brotherly Croatia. Raw Black Metal group (Necro Forest)
9.On a worldwide levle how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
9. We have good relations with the black metal fans from around the world.
10.Are any of the band members also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
10. Now the group consists of two people. I have a parallel musical project. This project Aarsland where I create music in the style (Funeral Doom Metal / Drone Doom)
11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
11. I don't know. I thought of it a little.
12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
12. I think on Devilgroth such groups as Trelldom, Windir, Wedard had impact. Also we were affected so-called by "the Siberian Punk". It is an old wave of the Russian underground music of 80 beginnings of the 90th years. Today I often listen to different Polish and Russian music, for example for the last year for me the best album is (ambient) the project from Poland of Docetism with an album "Roots".
13.How would you describe your views on Paganism and Occultism?
13. Oh. This subject very deep, it is difficult for me to speak about this subject in not the native language. I can tell that the Slavic paganism means to me much, also I am interested in pagan culture of indigenous people of Siberia. In the depth of Siberia still there are shamans, and their magic. My colleague on group, goes in for esoterics, psychology and chiromancy.
14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
14. Now bad times.I want to wish to all readers of the peace and good. Just as the person professing patriotic ideas, and grown on traditional culture and folklore, I want to wish to people not to renounce the roots and to cease to worship to multiculture with which society is now infected. People of the different countries and cultures can be on friendly terms and have to be on friendly terms, but it doesn't mean to erase the traditional borders, differently always there will be someone another who will put on you alien traditions, it is sad. Harmony has to be, but it not in globalization...